Skip to main content

Of The Possessed And The Saved

This incident happened to me a long time ago. Each time I tell this story, it only reinforces my faith in the maha-mantra. When it happened I have not met my Srila Gurudeva. Even then the maha-mantra can protect and save you.
Read on:
I once had a colleague who was a pretty good dresser. She's also quite a looker as she gets all the attention from the boys in the office.
One fine afternoon, I was sitting right opposite her cracking my head as I was suffering from writer's block. She (let's call her Sherry) started to shiver. My initial reaction was the air-conditioning was too cold. Besides, everyone was almost down with the flu at that time.
Soon my other colleagues scooted her off to a room adjoining to our main writers' room. The poor girl was really sick, I thought. I continued doing whatever work since there were others looking after her at that moment.
All of a sudden, my colleagues started running out of the room. Their faces looking quite blank. I tried to stop them to find out what was the matter. None answered me. It was as though I did not exist.
I then ventured to the back room. I saw Sherry lying down and crying.
"Why did they have to do that. Leaving her alone. Poor girl!"
I was like really DUH??!!
I asked Sherry whether she wanted a blanket or a hot drink. She was shaking now.
She simply said, "I am feeling really, really cold."
I then bent down to check on her temperature. That's when she cried out, "Help me! Help me! It's coming inside me! Help!!!!!!"
It just struck me that she was possessed! Her face started to twist and she snarled at me. Sherry or whatever that was laughed hysterically.
At that moment, (being a real scaredy cat that I am), I kept reciting the maha-mantra.
I pushed her down commanding the thing to shut up and get out of that body.
Giving a haunted laugh, "Sherry" started to push me over. My back was facing an open window in that room. Luckily, that thing wasn't strong enough or else I would have been pushed out of the window and would not live to tell this story today.
It was a battle between the possessed and the sane.
While all this drama was going on, not once did I forget to chant my maha-mantra.
After some time Sherry started to calm down. Crying she said she wanted to go home. I ran out of the room to look for help.
By now my boss had called her family. Soon they arrived and took her home.
Months later Sherry came back to work. A much calmer person.
So what saved me that day? Nothing but the maha-mantra. Never every stop chanting no matter what.

Comments

Lilavathy said…
reading this. had inspired me to blog my encounter. one of these i will start it.

Popular posts from this blog

Life & Times of Sripad Bhakti Prakash Hrishikesh Maharaja in Malaysia

When I heard about the passing away of Sripad Bhakti Prakash Hrishikesh Maharaja, I was a little numb at first. My feelings were not completely settled to his passing. But after looking at his pictures, it finally dawned upon me that His Holiness was no more in this planet. Maharaja reminded me of someone so dynamic in serving Sri Hari, Guru & Vaishnavas. Nothing was impossible for him. Maharaja used to go heads on without thinking of any consequences. He did not believe much in meetings and talking about how to do a seva because he was an action man. He always said to me, “Let’s just do it. Krsna will take care of everything!!!” Maharaja was the first person to assist me in printing the book “Shower of Love.” When Srila Gurudeva ordered me to always write, I was totally lost as what to do. With whatever little knowledge I had, the compilation of lectures took place. But it was Maharaja who showed me the ropes of how to put in the footnotes, headings, sub-headings, titles etc. I re...

Of Ghosts and the Maha-Mantra

At a recent darshan in Desaru a devotee mentioned to Srila Gurudeva that ghosts are disturbing and the devotee is very much disturbed. Below is an insight of the conversation that transpired between the devotee and Srila Gurudeva . (Devotee): I feel something of someone touching me. I want to know what it is? ( Srila Gurudeva ): Are you chanting your rounds? (Devotee): Yes ( Srila Gurudeva ) I don't believe. If anyone is chanting and remembering, then no ghost will harm them. Now say after me. 'Om Narasimhaya Namah .' (Devotee repeats the mantra) ( Srila Gurudeva ) You are to say this mantra 3 times. Morning, noon and evening time. This incident reminded me of Srila Bhaktivinod Thakur when he was a magistrate in Puri . At that time a man who practices the occult was wanting to do the rasa dance with other men's wives and young girls. Srila Bhaktivinod Thakur captured the man and had him thrown in jail. Later Srila Bhaktivinod Thakur experienced sever...

Being Persistent

Preaching and bringing in new people to chant is not an easy task. We have to be persistent. Srila Gurudeva often says, "Preaching is really for the preacher himself/herself. The more we preach, the more realisation we can acquire." There's this university student, Priya , whom I got in touch with 2 years ago by one god-sister. Since my god-sister, Malati, who resides in India cannot always be in constant preaching contact, she therefore forwarded Priya's e-mail and contact number to me. Many times I had invited Priya for programmes at our preaching centre, which she will politely decline. This is because she lives very far away and she don't own a car, as yet. She is a student after all. Besides, her mother do not approve of her going out after dusk. To this I usually advised her to listen to her mother. Just 4 days ago I decided to have a lunch house programme this Sunday. So I text ed message Priya and to my surprise she confirmed her coming through e-mail. ...