Skip to main content

What Sri Guru Wants


Once a senior disciple of Srila Bhakti Promode Puri Maharaja related a very inspiring experience he had with his Guru Maharaj.


His Guru Maharaj appointed him to be a pujari in one of the temples. But being a non-Indian, he was constantly badgered about his birth by other devotees who are bent on giving him a hard time. (Sometimes Sri Krsna tests us in many ways. And it’s all about tolerance and hanging on to Sri Guru’s order.)


Not being able to take the mental and emotional torture, he went to his Guru Maharaj to be relieved of his service. Instead his Guru Maharaj told him to continue to do the service. But the mental and emotional torture continued. Finally, he approached his Guru Maharaj and explained his situation. Then his Guru Maharaj said he may do other services.


This he did but he always met with many types of obstacles. Be it from people or the environment itself. He tried in many ways to preach here and there but all was quite unsuccessful.


When his Guru Maharaj left the planet, a successive acarya was appointed and he was also a god-brother of this disciple.


Then his god-brother told him, “Please come and do the pujari seva. Our Guru Maharaj likes your seva.”


This gladdened the heart of the senior disciple and he immediately did just that.


Now, Sri Guru knows exactly the type of seva we should do. And if He says something, then, that is what it is. It is always about what Sri Guru wants. Even if the going gets tough, we have to persevere and approach Sri Guru about our problems.


There is so much bliss in Sri Guru’s order. It is up to us to take it upon our heads and forge ahead.


With much supplication, may such realization manifest in my heart and may Sri Guru be pleased with me. May I also know what Sri Guru wants and not do something independently. For Sri Guru only has our best interest at heart.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life & Times of Sripad Bhakti Prakash Hrishikesh Maharaja in Malaysia

When I heard about the passing away of Sripad Bhakti Prakash Hrishikesh Maharaja, I was a little numb at first. My feelings were not completely settled to his passing. But after looking at his pictures, it finally dawned upon me that His Holiness was no more in this planet. Maharaja reminded me of someone so dynamic in serving Sri Hari, Guru & Vaishnavas. Nothing was impossible for him. Maharaja used to go heads on without thinking of any consequences. He did not believe much in meetings and talking about how to do a seva because he was an action man. He always said to me, “Let’s just do it. Krsna will take care of everything!!!” Maharaja was the first person to assist me in printing the book “Shower of Love.” When Srila Gurudeva ordered me to always write, I was totally lost as what to do. With whatever little knowledge I had, the compilation of lectures took place. But it was Maharaja who showed me the ropes of how to put in the footnotes, headings, sub-headings, titles etc. I re...

Of Ghosts and the Maha-Mantra

At a recent darshan in Desaru a devotee mentioned to Srila Gurudeva that ghosts are disturbing and the devotee is very much disturbed. Below is an insight of the conversation that transpired between the devotee and Srila Gurudeva . (Devotee): I feel something of someone touching me. I want to know what it is? ( Srila Gurudeva ): Are you chanting your rounds? (Devotee): Yes ( Srila Gurudeva ) I don't believe. If anyone is chanting and remembering, then no ghost will harm them. Now say after me. 'Om Narasimhaya Namah .' (Devotee repeats the mantra) ( Srila Gurudeva ) You are to say this mantra 3 times. Morning, noon and evening time. This incident reminded me of Srila Bhaktivinod Thakur when he was a magistrate in Puri . At that time a man who practices the occult was wanting to do the rasa dance with other men's wives and young girls. Srila Bhaktivinod Thakur captured the man and had him thrown in jail. Later Srila Bhaktivinod Thakur experienced sever...

Being Persistent

Preaching and bringing in new people to chant is not an easy task. We have to be persistent. Srila Gurudeva often says, "Preaching is really for the preacher himself/herself. The more we preach, the more realisation we can acquire." There's this university student, Priya , whom I got in touch with 2 years ago by one god-sister. Since my god-sister, Malati, who resides in India cannot always be in constant preaching contact, she therefore forwarded Priya's e-mail and contact number to me. Many times I had invited Priya for programmes at our preaching centre, which she will politely decline. This is because she lives very far away and she don't own a car, as yet. She is a student after all. Besides, her mother do not approve of her going out after dusk. To this I usually advised her to listen to her mother. Just 4 days ago I decided to have a lunch house programme this Sunday. So I text ed message Priya and to my surprise she confirmed her coming through e-mail. ...