Skip to main content

3 Fold Miseries

There are three fold miseries always plaguing us. The misery arising from our minds, athyatmika. The miseries given to us by others, adhibautika. Then there are miseries that we mortals suffer from those coming from the demi-gods, adhidaivika.
Adhidaivika are miseries arising from earth quake, hurricanes, thunder storms and other natural calamities which we have no control of.
Adhibautika are miseries others give us, causing us pain and suffering.
Adhyatmika are miseries arising from our own minds. We can cut these miseries by constantly chanting the holy names and serving the Vaishnavas.
Our minds play many tricks on us. We tend to speculate things which are not true, worry unnecessarily and always think about what is going to happen or what others are thinking about us.
If we clear our minds of these unwanted thoughts by servitude attitude and constantly chant the holy names, then at least the other two miseries becomes somewhat tolerable.
Miseries from our own minds plunges us into deep depression and in some cases even suicide. There is always a way out. If the minds is controlled, then we can at least lead a peaceful life.
All the money in the world will not guarantee us happiness.
But the mind that is constantly thinking of the Lord, His pastimes, serving Sri Guru and Vaishnavas is a happy one that is on his or her way back home, back to Godhead.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life & Times of Sripad Bhakti Prakash Hrishikesh Maharaja in Malaysia

When I heard about the passing away of Sripad Bhakti Prakash Hrishikesh Maharaja, I was a little numb at first. My feelings were not completely settled to his passing. But after looking at his pictures, it finally dawned upon me that His Holiness was no more in this planet. Maharaja reminded me of someone so dynamic in serving Sri Hari, Guru & Vaishnavas. Nothing was impossible for him. Maharaja used to go heads on without thinking of any consequences. He did not believe much in meetings and talking about how to do a seva because he was an action man. He always said to me, “Let’s just do it. Krsna will take care of everything!!!” Maharaja was the first person to assist me in printing the book “Shower of Love.” When Srila Gurudeva ordered me to always write, I was totally lost as what to do. With whatever little knowledge I had, the compilation of lectures took place. But it was Maharaja who showed me the ropes of how to put in the footnotes, headings, sub-headings, titles etc. I re...

Of Ghosts and the Maha-Mantra

At a recent darshan in Desaru a devotee mentioned to Srila Gurudeva that ghosts are disturbing and the devotee is very much disturbed. Below is an insight of the conversation that transpired between the devotee and Srila Gurudeva . (Devotee): I feel something of someone touching me. I want to know what it is? ( Srila Gurudeva ): Are you chanting your rounds? (Devotee): Yes ( Srila Gurudeva ) I don't believe. If anyone is chanting and remembering, then no ghost will harm them. Now say after me. 'Om Narasimhaya Namah .' (Devotee repeats the mantra) ( Srila Gurudeva ) You are to say this mantra 3 times. Morning, noon and evening time. This incident reminded me of Srila Bhaktivinod Thakur when he was a magistrate in Puri . At that time a man who practices the occult was wanting to do the rasa dance with other men's wives and young girls. Srila Bhaktivinod Thakur captured the man and had him thrown in jail. Later Srila Bhaktivinod Thakur experienced sever...

Being Persistent

Preaching and bringing in new people to chant is not an easy task. We have to be persistent. Srila Gurudeva often says, "Preaching is really for the preacher himself/herself. The more we preach, the more realisation we can acquire." There's this university student, Priya , whom I got in touch with 2 years ago by one god-sister. Since my god-sister, Malati, who resides in India cannot always be in constant preaching contact, she therefore forwarded Priya's e-mail and contact number to me. Many times I had invited Priya for programmes at our preaching centre, which she will politely decline. This is because she lives very far away and she don't own a car, as yet. She is a student after all. Besides, her mother do not approve of her going out after dusk. To this I usually advised her to listen to her mother. Just 4 days ago I decided to have a lunch house programme this Sunday. So I text ed message Priya and to my surprise she confirmed her coming through e-mail. ...