Skip to main content

The 4 Defects

According to the revealed scriptures, there are four defects that plague us mortals.


Our senses are imperfect. Yet, we want perfection when there is no such thing as perfection. It is only in our own concocted mind we have manufactured what is perfection.


Perfection for one individual maybe imperfection to another.


The second defect is we are in illusion. We take what is not to be what it is. We are not this body. Yet we care so much for it that we forget we are actually a spirit soul. When someone dies, we are usually concerned about burying or cremating the body according to one’s customs and traditions. We say, “O I’ve cremated my father or I’ve buried my father.” Have we ever heard of anyone replying, “O you cruel person, how could you bury your father or cremate him!”


It is understood that only the body was buried or cremated. So where is the father? We must realize that we are not actually this body.


The next defect we have is the tendency to cheat. Almost all of us have cheated in something or other to gain some sort of leverage for our own sense gratification.


Lastly, we as humans commit mistakes. As the saying goes, to err is human. We make a lot of mistakes in our short life on this planet. Yet, we are not so forgiving if others make mistakes.


Reflecting upon what the scriptures have described about our defects, we must immediately seek a bona fide guru to guide us spiritually.

Only by Sri Guru's guidance and grace, can we learn to alleviate ourselves to Krsna consciousness, which means, to understand the Supreme Personality of Godhead and to be admitted into the Lord's family.

That should be our final destination.

Comments

Anonymous said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Popular posts from this blog

Life & Times of Sripad Bhakti Prakash Hrishikesh Maharaja in Malaysia

When I heard about the passing away of Sripad Bhakti Prakash Hrishikesh Maharaja, I was a little numb at first. My feelings were not completely settled to his passing. But after looking at his pictures, it finally dawned upon me that His Holiness was no more in this planet. Maharaja reminded me of someone so dynamic in serving Sri Hari, Guru & Vaishnavas. Nothing was impossible for him. Maharaja used to go heads on without thinking of any consequences. He did not believe much in meetings and talking about how to do a seva because he was an action man. He always said to me, “Let’s just do it. Krsna will take care of everything!!!” Maharaja was the first person to assist me in printing the book “Shower of Love.” When Srila Gurudeva ordered me to always write, I was totally lost as what to do. With whatever little knowledge I had, the compilation of lectures took place. But it was Maharaja who showed me the ropes of how to put in the footnotes, headings, sub-headings, titles etc. I re...

Of Ghosts and the Maha-Mantra

At a recent darshan in Desaru a devotee mentioned to Srila Gurudeva that ghosts are disturbing and the devotee is very much disturbed. Below is an insight of the conversation that transpired between the devotee and Srila Gurudeva . (Devotee): I feel something of someone touching me. I want to know what it is? ( Srila Gurudeva ): Are you chanting your rounds? (Devotee): Yes ( Srila Gurudeva ) I don't believe. If anyone is chanting and remembering, then no ghost will harm them. Now say after me. 'Om Narasimhaya Namah .' (Devotee repeats the mantra) ( Srila Gurudeva ) You are to say this mantra 3 times. Morning, noon and evening time. This incident reminded me of Srila Bhaktivinod Thakur when he was a magistrate in Puri . At that time a man who practices the occult was wanting to do the rasa dance with other men's wives and young girls. Srila Bhaktivinod Thakur captured the man and had him thrown in jail. Later Srila Bhaktivinod Thakur experienced sever...

Being Persistent

Preaching and bringing in new people to chant is not an easy task. We have to be persistent. Srila Gurudeva often says, "Preaching is really for the preacher himself/herself. The more we preach, the more realisation we can acquire." There's this university student, Priya , whom I got in touch with 2 years ago by one god-sister. Since my god-sister, Malati, who resides in India cannot always be in constant preaching contact, she therefore forwarded Priya's e-mail and contact number to me. Many times I had invited Priya for programmes at our preaching centre, which she will politely decline. This is because she lives very far away and she don't own a car, as yet. She is a student after all. Besides, her mother do not approve of her going out after dusk. To this I usually advised her to listen to her mother. Just 4 days ago I decided to have a lunch house programme this Sunday. So I text ed message Priya and to my surprise she confirmed her coming through e-mail. ...