Skip to main content

Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu's Play



  
When I started the Kids for Kids Program (Friends of GATE) in Facebook, I wondered how am I to go around collecting stationery for the school children that Srila Gurudeva started in Navadvipa. GATE stands for Golden Avatar Trust Education Initiative and by the order of my Srila Gurudeva, some of my godsisters and godbrothers are doing great service in providing free education besides incorporating kirtans and hari-katha into the school curriculum. 

The strong desire to do some service, kept me going. I told this venture to my students. At first they gave me blank stares. Then a little boy, gave his pencil. Another little girl gave her unused eraser. The ball started rolling from there. From colour pencils to sharpeners, note books and little purses. I know they cannot buy new ones. So my idea was to get them to part with anything that they don't need. Instead of throwing the stationery away, they can give it to others. But it most be in good condition. Children here are very fortunate in material terms. But if they were to help the children of the holy land in Navadvipa, then they are surely accumulating sukriti (spiritual pious activities). 

Besides children, some teacher friends and a nurse chipped in as well. But the best part of all, when the temple sevaks were cleaning the temple one day, they found a box filled with pencil cases. In each pencil case there was a ruler, an eraser, sharpener and pencils. There were 69 pencil cases! The temple sevaks knew of my project, so they gave the box to me. But I was apprehensive at first. First of all we do not know to whom the box belonged to. We asked around and nobody came to make the claim. 

After taking it, the collection of stationery was pretty complete. To make the work faster, someone threw a nice big rope at my husband's office. In fact we were looking for a rope to tie the box. We actually got a nice brown box from a grocery store nearby. When we wanted to take the ones the shop usually puts outside, a worker saw us and said he will give a nice box instead. 

Then it was to the post office. Getting a parking was highly unlikely as the post office is situated near a wet market. But once we were there, it was as though by divine arrangement there was a lot just waiting for us in front of the post office. My husband and I tied the rope tightly around the box. We were afraid the stationery might come out. So we taped and tied everything to the best of our ability. When we weighed the box it was 19.990kgs. What a relief! By sea mail, we were only allowed the maximum weight of 20kgs. The very friendly staff told us that it will take at lease 1 to 3 months to reach the designated address.

Soon I e-mailed the school to inform them about the parcel that is coming their way. It was a big surprise, that within less than a month the school contacted me and said they received the parcel. They gave some stationery to the children and the rest to be distributed during Guru Purnima, where Sripad Bhaktivedanta Madhava Maharaja was there as well. 


From the turn of events that happened, from the rope, the box of stationery, parking etc, it was Lord Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu's big play. Everything was His doing. 

O yes, at the time the parcel was sent, GATE had about 69 to 70 students. Two students of mine gave away their pencil cases to make the number quite complete. 

My only prayer is to be an instrument and a servant in Srila Gurudeva's and Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu's play. 








































Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life & Times of Sripad Bhakti Prakash Hrishikesh Maharaja in Malaysia

When I heard about the passing away of Sripad Bhakti Prakash Hrishikesh Maharaja, I was a little numb at first. My feelings were not completely settled to his passing. But after looking at his pictures, it finally dawned upon me that His Holiness was no more in this planet. Maharaja reminded me of someone so dynamic in serving Sri Hari, Guru & Vaishnavas. Nothing was impossible for him. Maharaja used to go heads on without thinking of any consequences. He did not believe much in meetings and talking about how to do a seva because he was an action man. He always said to me, “Let’s just do it. Krsna will take care of everything!!!” Maharaja was the first person to assist me in printing the book “Shower of Love.” When Srila Gurudeva ordered me to always write, I was totally lost as what to do. With whatever little knowledge I had, the compilation of lectures took place. But it was Maharaja who showed me the ropes of how to put in the footnotes, headings, sub-headings, titles etc. I re...

Of Ghosts and the Maha-Mantra

At a recent darshan in Desaru a devotee mentioned to Srila Gurudeva that ghosts are disturbing and the devotee is very much disturbed. Below is an insight of the conversation that transpired between the devotee and Srila Gurudeva . (Devotee): I feel something of someone touching me. I want to know what it is? ( Srila Gurudeva ): Are you chanting your rounds? (Devotee): Yes ( Srila Gurudeva ) I don't believe. If anyone is chanting and remembering, then no ghost will harm them. Now say after me. 'Om Narasimhaya Namah .' (Devotee repeats the mantra) ( Srila Gurudeva ) You are to say this mantra 3 times. Morning, noon and evening time. This incident reminded me of Srila Bhaktivinod Thakur when he was a magistrate in Puri . At that time a man who practices the occult was wanting to do the rasa dance with other men's wives and young girls. Srila Bhaktivinod Thakur captured the man and had him thrown in jail. Later Srila Bhaktivinod Thakur experienced sever...

Being Persistent

Preaching and bringing in new people to chant is not an easy task. We have to be persistent. Srila Gurudeva often says, "Preaching is really for the preacher himself/herself. The more we preach, the more realisation we can acquire." There's this university student, Priya , whom I got in touch with 2 years ago by one god-sister. Since my god-sister, Malati, who resides in India cannot always be in constant preaching contact, she therefore forwarded Priya's e-mail and contact number to me. Many times I had invited Priya for programmes at our preaching centre, which she will politely decline. This is because she lives very far away and she don't own a car, as yet. She is a student after all. Besides, her mother do not approve of her going out after dusk. To this I usually advised her to listen to her mother. Just 4 days ago I decided to have a lunch house programme this Sunday. So I text ed message Priya and to my surprise she confirmed her coming through e-mail. ...