Skip to main content

Leaving Everything at the Temple



Image result for picture of srila bharati gosvami maharaja


An excerpt from a lecture given by Srila Bhakti Vijnana Bharati Gosvami Maharaji in Puri 2015.

"“There is this elderly grandmother who comes to the temple everyday to hear hari katha. Her grandson would often request her to take him to the temple as well. But she would not do so.

One day, the grandson was very persistent in wanting to go to the temple with his grandmother. Finally, the grandmother relented.

When they were at the temple, the grandson heard the hari katha about the glories of Ekadasi, and how it is important to observe Ekadasi which is the very next day.

As soon as the grandson went home, he told his mother that he will fast the next day. He only wanted some money to buy bananas and would not take any grains.

When the mother heard this, she became furious and scolded the grandmother for taking her son to the temple. She said that her son is very young to be observing such fasts.

The grandmother soon called her grandson and told him, “My, dear child. Whatever you have heard in the temple you should leave it there. Look at me. I go there everyday but I don’t follow Ekadasi at home. So leave everything you have heard at the temple. It is not necessary to follow all these at home.”

So this is our situation. We hear hari katha from sadhus but we don’t want to imbibe and follow what we hear in our life. We leave everything as soon as we are out of the temple.
Only when we surrender, then, our real nature which Sri Guru and Vaishnavas want to give will develop.""

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life & Times of Sripad Bhakti Prakash Hrishikesh Maharaja in Malaysia

When I heard about the passing away of Sripad Bhakti Prakash Hrishikesh Maharaja, I was a little numb at first. My feelings were not completely settled to his passing. But after looking at his pictures, it finally dawned upon me that His Holiness was no more in this planet. Maharaja reminded me of someone so dynamic in serving Sri Hari, Guru & Vaishnavas. Nothing was impossible for him. Maharaja used to go heads on without thinking of any consequences. He did not believe much in meetings and talking about how to do a seva because he was an action man. He always said to me, “Let’s just do it. Krsna will take care of everything!!!” Maharaja was the first person to assist me in printing the book “Shower of Love.” When Srila Gurudeva ordered me to always write, I was totally lost as what to do. With whatever little knowledge I had, the compilation of lectures took place. But it was Maharaja who showed me the ropes of how to put in the footnotes, headings, sub-headings, titles etc. I re...

Of Ghosts and the Maha-Mantra

At a recent darshan in Desaru a devotee mentioned to Srila Gurudeva that ghosts are disturbing and the devotee is very much disturbed. Below is an insight of the conversation that transpired between the devotee and Srila Gurudeva . (Devotee): I feel something of someone touching me. I want to know what it is? ( Srila Gurudeva ): Are you chanting your rounds? (Devotee): Yes ( Srila Gurudeva ) I don't believe. If anyone is chanting and remembering, then no ghost will harm them. Now say after me. 'Om Narasimhaya Namah .' (Devotee repeats the mantra) ( Srila Gurudeva ) You are to say this mantra 3 times. Morning, noon and evening time. This incident reminded me of Srila Bhaktivinod Thakur when he was a magistrate in Puri . At that time a man who practices the occult was wanting to do the rasa dance with other men's wives and young girls. Srila Bhaktivinod Thakur captured the man and had him thrown in jail. Later Srila Bhaktivinod Thakur experienced sever...

Being Persistent

Preaching and bringing in new people to chant is not an easy task. We have to be persistent. Srila Gurudeva often says, "Preaching is really for the preacher himself/herself. The more we preach, the more realisation we can acquire." There's this university student, Priya , whom I got in touch with 2 years ago by one god-sister. Since my god-sister, Malati, who resides in India cannot always be in constant preaching contact, she therefore forwarded Priya's e-mail and contact number to me. Many times I had invited Priya for programmes at our preaching centre, which she will politely decline. This is because she lives very far away and she don't own a car, as yet. She is a student after all. Besides, her mother do not approve of her going out after dusk. To this I usually advised her to listen to her mother. Just 4 days ago I decided to have a lunch house programme this Sunday. So I text ed message Priya and to my surprise she confirmed her coming through e-mail. ...