Skip to main content

Lessons From a Cuckoo Water Filter

The recent flood that hit my country, left me quite numb thinking about all the victims' pain and suffering. Here we are, trying to make living quite palatable, and all of a sudden torrents of rain comes to wash off everything we own. 

Houses were damaged, cars submerged in water almost irreparable, household goods becomes junk as everything owned was gone and had to be replaced. 

No matter how hard we try to make our living here comfortable, it is actually quite impossible as the design system of this material world is full of the three fold miseries, namely miseries arising from one's mind, miseries arising from another living entity and miseries given to us by the demigods. 

Although many were affected by the flood, there were also fortunate ones who didn't experience anything of that sort at all. Due to their good fortunes they still have everything they owned intact.

As I was contemplating these while filling my cup with water from a Cuckoo water filter (bought by my brother), it suddenly hit me. Yes, no matter how comfortable we are in the material sense, we are indeed prisoners in this huge jail house. Of course, one must be grateful for whatever one has. But the fact remains, we are prisoners. Some prisoners have it slightly better than others. Even a King in this world is actually a prisoner, who cannot escape old age, disease and death and the torments of his mind or torments from others and natural calamities.

The only way to escape is to keep holding on to the lotus feet of  a bona fide guru who will take us across the ocean of nescience. A bona fide guru who initiated us into the mahamantra, will definitely carry us across this prison house. Therefore, we have to completely surrender and depend on Sri Guru. 

May this insignificant soul realize these truths. 

    


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life & Times of Sripad Bhakti Prakash Hrishikesh Maharaja in Malaysia

When I heard about the passing away of Sripad Bhakti Prakash Hrishikesh Maharaja, I was a little numb at first. My feelings were not completely settled to his passing. But after looking at his pictures, it finally dawned upon me that His Holiness was no more in this planet. Maharaja reminded me of someone so dynamic in serving Sri Hari, Guru & Vaishnavas. Nothing was impossible for him. Maharaja used to go heads on without thinking of any consequences. He did not believe much in meetings and talking about how to do a seva because he was an action man. He always said to me, “Let’s just do it. Krsna will take care of everything!!!” Maharaja was the first person to assist me in printing the book “Shower of Love.” When Srila Gurudeva ordered me to always write, I was totally lost as what to do. With whatever little knowledge I had, the compilation of lectures took place. But it was Maharaja who showed me the ropes of how to put in the footnotes, headings, sub-headings, titles etc. I re...

Of Ghosts and the Maha-Mantra

At a recent darshan in Desaru a devotee mentioned to Srila Gurudeva that ghosts are disturbing and the devotee is very much disturbed. Below is an insight of the conversation that transpired between the devotee and Srila Gurudeva . (Devotee): I feel something of someone touching me. I want to know what it is? ( Srila Gurudeva ): Are you chanting your rounds? (Devotee): Yes ( Srila Gurudeva ) I don't believe. If anyone is chanting and remembering, then no ghost will harm them. Now say after me. 'Om Narasimhaya Namah .' (Devotee repeats the mantra) ( Srila Gurudeva ) You are to say this mantra 3 times. Morning, noon and evening time. This incident reminded me of Srila Bhaktivinod Thakur when he was a magistrate in Puri . At that time a man who practices the occult was wanting to do the rasa dance with other men's wives and young girls. Srila Bhaktivinod Thakur captured the man and had him thrown in jail. Later Srila Bhaktivinod Thakur experienced sever...

Being Persistent

Preaching and bringing in new people to chant is not an easy task. We have to be persistent. Srila Gurudeva often says, "Preaching is really for the preacher himself/herself. The more we preach, the more realisation we can acquire." There's this university student, Priya , whom I got in touch with 2 years ago by one god-sister. Since my god-sister, Malati, who resides in India cannot always be in constant preaching contact, she therefore forwarded Priya's e-mail and contact number to me. Many times I had invited Priya for programmes at our preaching centre, which she will politely decline. This is because she lives very far away and she don't own a car, as yet. She is a student after all. Besides, her mother do not approve of her going out after dusk. To this I usually advised her to listen to her mother. Just 4 days ago I decided to have a lunch house programme this Sunday. So I text ed message Priya and to my surprise she confirmed her coming through e-mail. ...