Skip to main content

Lessons from a Supermarket

 Just the other day, I went to the supermarket with my mom. After the usual buying and paying at the counter, we were on our way to the escalator which will take us to the ground floor. Just then, my mom caught sight of a family of five with their shopping trolley packed to the brim. My very elderly mom said, "Wow, that's a lot of stuff!"

I told my mom, it may not be a lot for them and it could be "just nice" for a family of five. It then hit me. The father, the man/master of the household was walking behind his little daughter, his wife, another daughter and a son. 

It dawned upon me how we think we are masters of our homes, boss of a corporate firm or even the complete owner of a business etc. But the truth is, we are servants. We are always serving someone or something and of course our senses. Our spiritual masters have countless times reminded us that we are not the masters nor the doers. Only Lord Krsna is the Master and the Doer. 

Like what my spiritual master, Srila Bhaktivedanta Narayana Gosvami Maharaja said:

"If you want to make your life successful, happy and peaceful, then endeavour to give all of your love and affection to Krsna, and while keeping Him in the centre, be affectionate to all living entities. Do not try to control others forcibly. Rather, giving up everything, be affectionate to all." - September 22, 2002, Odessa, Ukraine

It is indeed hard to be in a family life. I am not saying being a brahmacari, vanaprastha or even a sannyasi is a bed of rosses.  In my opinion, at least they don't have much baggage to carry. 

Therefore in a family life, if all family members are looked upon as serving the Supreme Lord Krsna and most importantly the bona fide spiritual master, as the centre of their lives, then yes, life becomes so meaningful.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life & Times of Sripad Bhakti Prakash Hrishikesh Maharaja in Malaysia

When I heard about the passing away of Sripad Bhakti Prakash Hrishikesh Maharaja, I was a little numb at first. My feelings were not completely settled to his passing. But after looking at his pictures, it finally dawned upon me that His Holiness was no more in this planet. Maharaja reminded me of someone so dynamic in serving Sri Hari, Guru & Vaishnavas. Nothing was impossible for him. Maharaja used to go heads on without thinking of any consequences. He did not believe much in meetings and talking about how to do a seva because he was an action man. He always said to me, “Let’s just do it. Krsna will take care of everything!!!” Maharaja was the first person to assist me in printing the book “Shower of Love.” When Srila Gurudeva ordered me to always write, I was totally lost as what to do. With whatever little knowledge I had, the compilation of lectures took place. But it was Maharaja who showed me the ropes of how to put in the footnotes, headings, sub-headings, titles etc. I re...

Of Ghosts and the Maha-Mantra

At a recent darshan in Desaru a devotee mentioned to Srila Gurudeva that ghosts are disturbing and the devotee is very much disturbed. Below is an insight of the conversation that transpired between the devotee and Srila Gurudeva . (Devotee): I feel something of someone touching me. I want to know what it is? ( Srila Gurudeva ): Are you chanting your rounds? (Devotee): Yes ( Srila Gurudeva ) I don't believe. If anyone is chanting and remembering, then no ghost will harm them. Now say after me. 'Om Narasimhaya Namah .' (Devotee repeats the mantra) ( Srila Gurudeva ) You are to say this mantra 3 times. Morning, noon and evening time. This incident reminded me of Srila Bhaktivinod Thakur when he was a magistrate in Puri . At that time a man who practices the occult was wanting to do the rasa dance with other men's wives and young girls. Srila Bhaktivinod Thakur captured the man and had him thrown in jail. Later Srila Bhaktivinod Thakur experienced sever...

Being Persistent

Preaching and bringing in new people to chant is not an easy task. We have to be persistent. Srila Gurudeva often says, "Preaching is really for the preacher himself/herself. The more we preach, the more realisation we can acquire." There's this university student, Priya , whom I got in touch with 2 years ago by one god-sister. Since my god-sister, Malati, who resides in India cannot always be in constant preaching contact, she therefore forwarded Priya's e-mail and contact number to me. Many times I had invited Priya for programmes at our preaching centre, which she will politely decline. This is because she lives very far away and she don't own a car, as yet. She is a student after all. Besides, her mother do not approve of her going out after dusk. To this I usually advised her to listen to her mother. Just 4 days ago I decided to have a lunch house programme this Sunday. So I text ed message Priya and to my surprise she confirmed her coming through e-mail. ...