Skip to main content

Moving House is Synonymous with Moving into Another Body

 Just last month, I had to help my elderly mom and brother to move house. Believe me, it was a difficult task. We could not get movers as it was the holiday season over here. Moreover, we had to move from one block of the apartment to another block. I started packing two months earlier, but ended up not doing much as the kitchen stuff had to packed as we cooked our meals at home everyday.

The new house was not ready as the owner had to fix the fans and there was plumbing works to be done. Finally when we got the keys, which was about a week earlier from the designated moving date, I decided to put as many stuff onto a trolley and move as much things as I can to the new block on the eighth floor.

I realised I kept going up and down and the amount of stuff seem never ending. I pleaded with my mom and brother to ditch some stuff. It was really, really tiring. 

My mom was getting irritated, what with her advanced age and all. I then reminded her how many times have we moved from one body to another taking along all sorts of baggage, life after life. 

It then dawned upon me how we give importance to things rather than people. We still want to hold on to things, thinking it will be of use in the near future. Chances are it usually won't happen. 

In the same way, we hold on to grudges, bad habits, uncontrollable attributes etc., which we will be dragging on to the next life. We keep moving from one body to another in the 8.4 million species of life. 

When will it stop? Only when we cry out, that we are indeed in trouble and want to get out of this rut. Then, by the mercy of the Lord, a bona fide spiritual master will throw us the rope of hope for us to hang on. 

Our spiritual masters constantly remind us to live a simple life and have high thinking. Meaning, we don't need many things like clothing, furniture, utensils etc. Live with the essentials but constantly serve Sri Guru and Vaishnavas/Vaishnavis to get the mercy of Lord Sri Radha Krsna. 

Material things will eventually leave us to be in the hands of another when we leave this body. They are to be used and not to be a burden to us or another and most importantly one should not hoard them. 

We should just use everything in a way that it does not impede our progress in the spiritual path. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life & Times of Sripad Bhakti Prakash Hrishikesh Maharaja in Malaysia

When I heard about the passing away of Sripad Bhakti Prakash Hrishikesh Maharaja, I was a little numb at first. My feelings were not completely settled to his passing. But after looking at his pictures, it finally dawned upon me that His Holiness was no more in this planet. Maharaja reminded me of someone so dynamic in serving Sri Hari, Guru & Vaishnavas. Nothing was impossible for him. Maharaja used to go heads on without thinking of any consequences. He did not believe much in meetings and talking about how to do a seva because he was an action man. He always said to me, “Let’s just do it. Krsna will take care of everything!!!” Maharaja was the first person to assist me in printing the book “Shower of Love.” When Srila Gurudeva ordered me to always write, I was totally lost as what to do. With whatever little knowledge I had, the compilation of lectures took place. But it was Maharaja who showed me the ropes of how to put in the footnotes, headings, sub-headings, titles etc. I re...

Of Ghosts and the Maha-Mantra

At a recent darshan in Desaru a devotee mentioned to Srila Gurudeva that ghosts are disturbing and the devotee is very much disturbed. Below is an insight of the conversation that transpired between the devotee and Srila Gurudeva . (Devotee): I feel something of someone touching me. I want to know what it is? ( Srila Gurudeva ): Are you chanting your rounds? (Devotee): Yes ( Srila Gurudeva ) I don't believe. If anyone is chanting and remembering, then no ghost will harm them. Now say after me. 'Om Narasimhaya Namah .' (Devotee repeats the mantra) ( Srila Gurudeva ) You are to say this mantra 3 times. Morning, noon and evening time. This incident reminded me of Srila Bhaktivinod Thakur when he was a magistrate in Puri . At that time a man who practices the occult was wanting to do the rasa dance with other men's wives and young girls. Srila Bhaktivinod Thakur captured the man and had him thrown in jail. Later Srila Bhaktivinod Thakur experienced sever...

Being Persistent

Preaching and bringing in new people to chant is not an easy task. We have to be persistent. Srila Gurudeva often says, "Preaching is really for the preacher himself/herself. The more we preach, the more realisation we can acquire." There's this university student, Priya , whom I got in touch with 2 years ago by one god-sister. Since my god-sister, Malati, who resides in India cannot always be in constant preaching contact, she therefore forwarded Priya's e-mail and contact number to me. Many times I had invited Priya for programmes at our preaching centre, which she will politely decline. This is because she lives very far away and she don't own a car, as yet. She is a student after all. Besides, her mother do not approve of her going out after dusk. To this I usually advised her to listen to her mother. Just 4 days ago I decided to have a lunch house programme this Sunday. So I text ed message Priya and to my surprise she confirmed her coming through e-mail. ...