Skip to main content

The Power of the Maha-Mantra

There are times when I'm at my wits ends trying to follow the instructions of my Srila Gurudeva. He has ordered me to preach and blogging and the Internet is one tool I feel I can reach out to many people out there.
Besides, I've also came up with ways to put the maha-mantra in a visible way so that people will take notice. For example, I've a key-chain with a beautiful picture of the Divine Couple. At the back of the key-chain the maha-mantra is printed.
As I tutor for a living, I sometimes on purpose put the key-chain on my table so that my students ranging from the ages 10 - 17 will take note of it. They will usually look at the picture and sometimes may chant the maha-mantra. Some even queried me for being a vegetarian.
One such boy began to chant the maha-mantra every Saturday just before I start my class. Because he was doing it very diligently, his friend began to follow suit.
Yesterday, both the 10 year old somewhat surprised me. As soon as they finished chanting the maha-mantra, they told me of their intentions of wanting to become vegetarians. I was really taken aback. I asked them whether their parents knew about it, to which they said their parents were cool about the matter.
Then I asked them why they wanted to be so. Little Li Jyn explained that the fish suffers and struggles for air when caught. The fish wants to live just like us.
And her friend Clifford added that it was awful to slaughter the chickens.
Whatever the outcome of these two souls, I really wish that they become wonderful devotees. Everything is in the hands of Sri Guru and Krsna.
In the meantime, they will continue to chant the maha-mantra every Saturday!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life & Times of Sripad Bhakti Prakash Hrishikesh Maharaja in Malaysia

When I heard about the passing away of Sripad Bhakti Prakash Hrishikesh Maharaja, I was a little numb at first. My feelings were not completely settled to his passing. But after looking at his pictures, it finally dawned upon me that His Holiness was no more in this planet. Maharaja reminded me of someone so dynamic in serving Sri Hari, Guru & Vaishnavas. Nothing was impossible for him. Maharaja used to go heads on without thinking of any consequences. He did not believe much in meetings and talking about how to do a seva because he was an action man. He always said to me, “Let’s just do it. Krsna will take care of everything!!!” Maharaja was the first person to assist me in printing the book “Shower of Love.” When Srila Gurudeva ordered me to always write, I was totally lost as what to do. With whatever little knowledge I had, the compilation of lectures took place. But it was Maharaja who showed me the ropes of how to put in the footnotes, headings, sub-headings, titles etc. I re...

Of Ghosts and the Maha-Mantra

At a recent darshan in Desaru a devotee mentioned to Srila Gurudeva that ghosts are disturbing and the devotee is very much disturbed. Below is an insight of the conversation that transpired between the devotee and Srila Gurudeva . (Devotee): I feel something of someone touching me. I want to know what it is? ( Srila Gurudeva ): Are you chanting your rounds? (Devotee): Yes ( Srila Gurudeva ) I don't believe. If anyone is chanting and remembering, then no ghost will harm them. Now say after me. 'Om Narasimhaya Namah .' (Devotee repeats the mantra) ( Srila Gurudeva ) You are to say this mantra 3 times. Morning, noon and evening time. This incident reminded me of Srila Bhaktivinod Thakur when he was a magistrate in Puri . At that time a man who practices the occult was wanting to do the rasa dance with other men's wives and young girls. Srila Bhaktivinod Thakur captured the man and had him thrown in jail. Later Srila Bhaktivinod Thakur experienced sever...

Being Persistent

Preaching and bringing in new people to chant is not an easy task. We have to be persistent. Srila Gurudeva often says, "Preaching is really for the preacher himself/herself. The more we preach, the more realisation we can acquire." There's this university student, Priya , whom I got in touch with 2 years ago by one god-sister. Since my god-sister, Malati, who resides in India cannot always be in constant preaching contact, she therefore forwarded Priya's e-mail and contact number to me. Many times I had invited Priya for programmes at our preaching centre, which she will politely decline. This is because she lives very far away and she don't own a car, as yet. She is a student after all. Besides, her mother do not approve of her going out after dusk. To this I usually advised her to listen to her mother. Just 4 days ago I decided to have a lunch house programme this Sunday. So I text ed message Priya and to my surprise she confirmed her coming through e-mail. ...