Skip to main content

Telling Children Stories (Harikatha)


The other day I told my 9 year old student about the story of the "Talking Pot." Sometimes I try to inject in a very "tricky" manner about our Krsna conscious philosophy after a lesson. I usually start by asking my students whether they would love to hear a story or not. They would always say "Y - E - S!!!" in a cheerful manner.


These children have no idea who Krsna is. Besides they are not devotees' children either. So story telling is the best way to get the message across.


OK coming back to the "Talking Pot." It's a story about how a disciple felt he could do better if he left his Guru's ashram. His service was to fetch water from the Yamuna daily. The disciple thought he would be better off if he found a job and got married. But the pot talked him out of it and he ran back to his Guru. For the full story click here: http://shukasari.blogspot.com/2009/04/talking-water-pot.html



After the story I asked my student, Darren, about the moral of the story. Below is the excerpt of the conversation.



Me: So what do you think of the story Darren?





Darren: Very nice.




Me: Do you think the disciple should leave his Guru?




Darren: No




Me: Why not?



Darren: Because he will suffer. He will have to work very hard.




Me: But everyone has to work hard.




Darren: Yes, but he has everything at the temple. More peaceful.





I suppose this innocent child nailed the story. By the way, he chants "Haribolo" and "Gaura-Nitai." I made him chant each time he was feeling tired.




The Lord's Holy Names, His pastimes and His associates' pastimes are so powerful that it will make a deep impression on anyone regardless of their birth.




Who knows, when I am old and grey, Darren might just end up becoming a wonderful devotee. Then he knows that his tutor used to tell him such stories and made him chant the holy names.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life & Times of Sripad Bhakti Prakash Hrishikesh Maharaja in Malaysia

When I heard about the passing away of Sripad Bhakti Prakash Hrishikesh Maharaja, I was a little numb at first. My feelings were not completely settled to his passing. But after looking at his pictures, it finally dawned upon me that His Holiness was no more in this planet. Maharaja reminded me of someone so dynamic in serving Sri Hari, Guru & Vaishnavas. Nothing was impossible for him. Maharaja used to go heads on without thinking of any consequences. He did not believe much in meetings and talking about how to do a seva because he was an action man. He always said to me, “Let’s just do it. Krsna will take care of everything!!!” Maharaja was the first person to assist me in printing the book “Shower of Love.” When Srila Gurudeva ordered me to always write, I was totally lost as what to do. With whatever little knowledge I had, the compilation of lectures took place. But it was Maharaja who showed me the ropes of how to put in the footnotes, headings, sub-headings, titles etc. I re...

Of Ghosts and the Maha-Mantra

At a recent darshan in Desaru a devotee mentioned to Srila Gurudeva that ghosts are disturbing and the devotee is very much disturbed. Below is an insight of the conversation that transpired between the devotee and Srila Gurudeva . (Devotee): I feel something of someone touching me. I want to know what it is? ( Srila Gurudeva ): Are you chanting your rounds? (Devotee): Yes ( Srila Gurudeva ) I don't believe. If anyone is chanting and remembering, then no ghost will harm them. Now say after me. 'Om Narasimhaya Namah .' (Devotee repeats the mantra) ( Srila Gurudeva ) You are to say this mantra 3 times. Morning, noon and evening time. This incident reminded me of Srila Bhaktivinod Thakur when he was a magistrate in Puri . At that time a man who practices the occult was wanting to do the rasa dance with other men's wives and young girls. Srila Bhaktivinod Thakur captured the man and had him thrown in jail. Later Srila Bhaktivinod Thakur experienced sever...

Being Persistent

Preaching and bringing in new people to chant is not an easy task. We have to be persistent. Srila Gurudeva often says, "Preaching is really for the preacher himself/herself. The more we preach, the more realisation we can acquire." There's this university student, Priya , whom I got in touch with 2 years ago by one god-sister. Since my god-sister, Malati, who resides in India cannot always be in constant preaching contact, she therefore forwarded Priya's e-mail and contact number to me. Many times I had invited Priya for programmes at our preaching centre, which she will politely decline. This is because she lives very far away and she don't own a car, as yet. She is a student after all. Besides, her mother do not approve of her going out after dusk. To this I usually advised her to listen to her mother. Just 4 days ago I decided to have a lunch house programme this Sunday. So I text ed message Priya and to my surprise she confirmed her coming through e-mail. ...