Skip to main content

A Child's View of Srila Gurudeva and the Deities

There are times when I feel I cannot preach to someone, especially if they are little children of a totally different ethnic background. Well, it is hard enough to preach to adults, what more to children.

I’ve known Rachel for over a year now. She’s only 11 years old. Rachel is always curious why I am a vegetarian. So one day she needed help with her school work and the computer was needed at that time. Being her private tutor, I helped her get the information she wanted. Then she asked whether I have a blog.

That’s when I started to introduce to her my Srila Gurudeva. She was fascinated.
She said, "O your Guru is sooo cute!"
Then she looked at the pictures of Sri RadhaKrsna and found them adorable. Finally she looked at the pictures of Giriraja.

She acclaimed, “O so sweeet!”

Then when she saw a picture of Srila Gurudeva surrounded by many devotees with upraised arms, she asked, “What are they doing?”

I said, “Haribol! Haribol!”

Immediately Rachel raised her arms and started to chant ‘Haribol! Haribol!’

Tears welled up in my eyes. Just by seeing pictures of my spiritual master, the deities and devotees, this little girl chanted. I was made an instrument.

Little does Rachel realise the spiritual piety she has accumulated.

Before I left, she said she was going to read the Chinese purebhakti.com website.

I couldn’t ask for more. Krsna has a way to make you preach in many mysterious ways.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hare Krishna,

You're in KL? I'm a devotee in KL too. Which center do you go to?
Anonymous said…
vaikunta: Haribol! Thanks for dropping by.

Please tell me a little bit more of yourself first. (If you don't mind).

Hare Krishna!

Popular posts from this blog

Life & Times of Sripad Bhakti Prakash Hrishikesh Maharaja in Malaysia

When I heard about the passing away of Sripad Bhakti Prakash Hrishikesh Maharaja, I was a little numb at first. My feelings were not completely settled to his passing. But after looking at his pictures, it finally dawned upon me that His Holiness was no more in this planet. Maharaja reminded me of someone so dynamic in serving Sri Hari, Guru & Vaishnavas. Nothing was impossible for him. Maharaja used to go heads on without thinking of any consequences. He did not believe much in meetings and talking about how to do a seva because he was an action man. He always said to me, “Let’s just do it. Krsna will take care of everything!!!” Maharaja was the first person to assist me in printing the book “Shower of Love.” When Srila Gurudeva ordered me to always write, I was totally lost as what to do. With whatever little knowledge I had, the compilation of lectures took place. But it was Maharaja who showed me the ropes of how to put in the footnotes, headings, sub-headings, titles etc. I re...

Of Ghosts and the Maha-Mantra

At a recent darshan in Desaru a devotee mentioned to Srila Gurudeva that ghosts are disturbing and the devotee is very much disturbed. Below is an insight of the conversation that transpired between the devotee and Srila Gurudeva . (Devotee): I feel something of someone touching me. I want to know what it is? ( Srila Gurudeva ): Are you chanting your rounds? (Devotee): Yes ( Srila Gurudeva ) I don't believe. If anyone is chanting and remembering, then no ghost will harm them. Now say after me. 'Om Narasimhaya Namah .' (Devotee repeats the mantra) ( Srila Gurudeva ) You are to say this mantra 3 times. Morning, noon and evening time. This incident reminded me of Srila Bhaktivinod Thakur when he was a magistrate in Puri . At that time a man who practices the occult was wanting to do the rasa dance with other men's wives and young girls. Srila Bhaktivinod Thakur captured the man and had him thrown in jail. Later Srila Bhaktivinod Thakur experienced sever...

Being Persistent

Preaching and bringing in new people to chant is not an easy task. We have to be persistent. Srila Gurudeva often says, "Preaching is really for the preacher himself/herself. The more we preach, the more realisation we can acquire." There's this university student, Priya , whom I got in touch with 2 years ago by one god-sister. Since my god-sister, Malati, who resides in India cannot always be in constant preaching contact, she therefore forwarded Priya's e-mail and contact number to me. Many times I had invited Priya for programmes at our preaching centre, which she will politely decline. This is because she lives very far away and she don't own a car, as yet. She is a student after all. Besides, her mother do not approve of her going out after dusk. To this I usually advised her to listen to her mother. Just 4 days ago I decided to have a lunch house programme this Sunday. So I text ed message Priya and to my surprise she confirmed her coming through e-mail. ...