Skip to main content

We Are Like Donkeys

(This story was related by Srimati Uma didi on Nityananda Prabhu's Appearance Day on 28th January 2010)
Once there was a businessman. He loaded his donkey with rice, sugar and other foodstuffs and headed towards a hill. Soon it was almost evening. The business found a spot to rest. Before doing so he took out his ropes and bound each donkeys'legs to another.

The next day the businessman went along his journey. He was already 30 miles away from the place he rested the previous night. Just then he remembered he left his ropes and it is quite impossible for him to get it back.

Soon it will be night. He was worried his donkeys may wander away. At that moment a sadhu (holy man) came by.

The holy man asked, "O sir, why do you look so worried?"

The businessman said, "I forgot to bring the ropes to bind my donkeys. Now they may wander off!"
"O don't worry. Just make hand gestures that you are binding your donkeys. And they will not move from there, " said the holy man.

The businessman did just that. The next morning the businessman saw all his donkeys were there just like the holy man said. He soon loaded his donkeys. Then he slapped the donkeys back so that they would start to move. Unfortunately the donkeys did not budge at all.

The puzzled businessman tried to do so again and again. But the donkeys did not move at all.

The businessman cried out, "O holy man! Can you give me some mantra to make my donkeys to move!"

"Just make the same hand gestures like you are untying the donkeys," said the holy man.

The businessman did as he was told. Soon the donkeys began to move and the businessman was on his way.

Purport

We are all like donkeys in this material world. We think that this is our actual position when in fact we are bound by the ropes of maya. (maya, means that which is not). So like donkeys we are going about our work doing had labour and think that we will be permanently be here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life & Times of Sripad Bhakti Prakash Hrishikesh Maharaja in Malaysia

When I heard about the passing away of Sripad Bhakti Prakash Hrishikesh Maharaja, I was a little numb at first. My feelings were not completely settled to his passing. But after looking at his pictures, it finally dawned upon me that His Holiness was no more in this planet. Maharaja reminded me of someone so dynamic in serving Sri Hari, Guru & Vaishnavas. Nothing was impossible for him. Maharaja used to go heads on without thinking of any consequences. He did not believe much in meetings and talking about how to do a seva because he was an action man. He always said to me, “Let’s just do it. Krsna will take care of everything!!!” Maharaja was the first person to assist me in printing the book “Shower of Love.” When Srila Gurudeva ordered me to always write, I was totally lost as what to do. With whatever little knowledge I had, the compilation of lectures took place. But it was Maharaja who showed me the ropes of how to put in the footnotes, headings, sub-headings, titles etc. I re...

Of Ghosts and the Maha-Mantra

At a recent darshan in Desaru a devotee mentioned to Srila Gurudeva that ghosts are disturbing and the devotee is very much disturbed. Below is an insight of the conversation that transpired between the devotee and Srila Gurudeva . (Devotee): I feel something of someone touching me. I want to know what it is? ( Srila Gurudeva ): Are you chanting your rounds? (Devotee): Yes ( Srila Gurudeva ) I don't believe. If anyone is chanting and remembering, then no ghost will harm them. Now say after me. 'Om Narasimhaya Namah .' (Devotee repeats the mantra) ( Srila Gurudeva ) You are to say this mantra 3 times. Morning, noon and evening time. This incident reminded me of Srila Bhaktivinod Thakur when he was a magistrate in Puri . At that time a man who practices the occult was wanting to do the rasa dance with other men's wives and young girls. Srila Bhaktivinod Thakur captured the man and had him thrown in jail. Later Srila Bhaktivinod Thakur experienced sever...

Being Persistent

Preaching and bringing in new people to chant is not an easy task. We have to be persistent. Srila Gurudeva often says, "Preaching is really for the preacher himself/herself. The more we preach, the more realisation we can acquire." There's this university student, Priya , whom I got in touch with 2 years ago by one god-sister. Since my god-sister, Malati, who resides in India cannot always be in constant preaching contact, she therefore forwarded Priya's e-mail and contact number to me. Many times I had invited Priya for programmes at our preaching centre, which she will politely decline. This is because she lives very far away and she don't own a car, as yet. She is a student after all. Besides, her mother do not approve of her going out after dusk. To this I usually advised her to listen to her mother. Just 4 days ago I decided to have a lunch house programme this Sunday. So I text ed message Priya and to my surprise she confirmed her coming through e-mail. ...