Skip to main content

Nagar Sankirtan with Uma Didi



Srimati Uma didi (left) and Rangavati didi.


I’ve always wanted to do a nagar-sankirtan seva (congregational chanting of the holy names). But having to acquire a police permit is a little daunting. The law here requires any public display of religious sentiments to have a permit so as not to disturb others of different faith.

That’s when I came up with the idea of chanting at the park. Devotees can sit around the park and chant. We can even call it “Krsna Picnic."


I talked to Lalita didi about it and she was excited to do this. But it had to be after the Kartik month since she was going for parikrama. I also talked to some other devotees and they were just as eager.

Nitai Gauranga Jaya!! Gaura Hari!!!


When Lalita didi came back, we set the date for 15th November. We did not call many devotees as the weather was really bad. It rained everyday. And we had to do a lot of cancellations if it rained.

Unfortunately, a day before the scheduled nagar sankirtan, Lalita didi had some emergency meeting. She informed that a senior Vaishnavi, Srimati Uma didi was coming for a stop over before flying off to Oakland.

Also, whomever I’ve requested to come could not make it as well.

I assured Lalita didi that it was alright and perhaps I will take Uma didi to the park instead. I’ve known Uma didi for a long time. She is such a sweet, gentle and great soul.

So on Sunday (15th November), as soon as I parked my car outside our preaching centre, a loud clap of thunder was heard. The whole day seemed fairly ok, and I feared of a heavy down pour.

I quickly went to the centre, met Uma didi and her assistant Rangavati didi and mentioned of my intentions. They very happily decided to join in the harinama chanting. This despite the fact they flew in only that morning.

We headed to the park, less than 5 minutes drive and picked a spot. We chanted loudly for about an hour. People passed us by. Some noticed, some nodded, some ignored. Many families were there with their children. Some playing, some just sitting by and some doing their evening exercises.

After that I took out my home made almond cookies prasadam and we relished it together. I also mentioned to Uma didi, how Srila Gurudeva used walk around the perimeters of the lake in the park.



Home-made almond cookies


Soon little silver droplets from the heavens started to sprinkle upon us. We made it to the car and headed towards the centre.


Later that evening Uma didi spoke on the importance of nagar sankirtan. (will blog about the class soon).

All's well, that ends well.

Comments

Lilavathy said…
now i know what i miss.

Popular posts from this blog

Life & Times of Sripad Bhakti Prakash Hrishikesh Maharaja in Malaysia

When I heard about the passing away of Sripad Bhakti Prakash Hrishikesh Maharaja, I was a little numb at first. My feelings were not completely settled to his passing. But after looking at his pictures, it finally dawned upon me that His Holiness was no more in this planet. Maharaja reminded me of someone so dynamic in serving Sri Hari, Guru & Vaishnavas. Nothing was impossible for him. Maharaja used to go heads on without thinking of any consequences. He did not believe much in meetings and talking about how to do a seva because he was an action man. He always said to me, “Let’s just do it. Krsna will take care of everything!!!” Maharaja was the first person to assist me in printing the book “Shower of Love.” When Srila Gurudeva ordered me to always write, I was totally lost as what to do. With whatever little knowledge I had, the compilation of lectures took place. But it was Maharaja who showed me the ropes of how to put in the footnotes, headings, sub-headings, titles etc. I re

A Great Devotee of Lord Jagannatha (part 1)

(A dear god-sister, who is residing in Orissa, sent me this sweet wonderful lila of Jagannatha and his dear most devotee , Hope you will find much inspiration from this katha) Dasia Bauri – The Grea t Bhakta of The Supreme Personality of Godhead, Sri Jagannatha Deva Sri khetra Jagannath Puri is the Greatest dhama of the Supreme Lord, where Krishna (Shyamasundara) is manifesting in His eternally merciful and most joyful form known as avatari Jagannath. The place is further glorified by the foot dust of great unalloyed loving devotees called premi-bhaktas. From time immemorial Sri Jagannathjiu has been worshiped in this dhama and the great scriptures like Srimad-Bhagawata, Padma, Visnu, Skanda Puranas etc are the evidence. It is mentioned in the Skanda-Purana that Sri-Prahalada maharaja did ratha-yatra festival long long ago in the age of Satya-Yuga. In this age also Jagannathjiu has a great history. There are devotees beginning from the reign of Pandya kings. All the

Reconciling Apparent Differences

(excerpt taken from Facebook - Editor) On the divine appearance day of Srila Bhakti Vijnana Bharati Maharaja, Syamarani didi had this incredible darsan with him las t year in Vrndavana: In Honor of the Appearance Day of Srila Bhakti Vijnana Bharati Maharaja – July 19th Reconciling Apparent Differences "Ever since I received the order from Srila Gurudeva to publish an art book consisting of the paintings I did for Prabhupada and the paintings I did for him, I have been experiencing a great dilemma that no one I spoke to could help me solve. Although for the most part the instructions of Prabhupada, my diksa-guru, and Srila Gurudeva, my siksa-guru matched up perfectly, on a couple of art occasions there seemed to have been a difference.  This apparent difference would make it impossible for me to know how to publish the art book properly. I finally went to beg the help of Srila Bhakti-vijnana Bharati Gosvami Maharaja, who is a close f